With every technical innovation come new challenges, but also great new opportunities! This is also true for the field of digital e-paper magazines. This article will tell you what you need to be know as a publisher if you want to design and turn your magazine, catalog or brochure into an e-paper publication.
Use every sense and every channel
As human beings we use all our senses to find our way around the world. Sight is without a doubt the most important – the human eye can distinguish millions of colors, focus within milliseconds and is a masterpiece of evolution. Apart from vision, hearing is another important sense for humans, with its ability to perceive sounds outside our field of vision and thus warn us of potential dangers.
Sign up in less than 1 Minute
Use video, audio and text formats, web links and social media channels to engage your reader!
Visual and auditory perception is processed naturally by the human brain as a continuous film, and turned into information that can be assimilated within milliseconds. Thanks to faster and more reliable data transfer, video content is becoming increasingly popular nowadays, especially in the mobile sector.
Even the sense of touch can be engaged on mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. Leafing (or swiping) through papers and magazines, as we have done for hundreds of years, comes naturally to us even in this modern environment.
(Use video, audio and text formats, web links and social media channels to engage your reader!)
This is why the following aspects are important to bear in mind for layouters of digital magazines:
1. Video content can be directly linked or embedded in e-paper magazines. Create icons or frames inside your publication, which can be turned into a “hotspot link” and link directly to the relevant content. The same goes for audio content such as audiobooks, interviews or other audio information.
2. Readability: Use font sizes that are easily readable without zooming in. Don’t force your readers to squint at the screen. Create easily digestible content with large pictures and short text chunks. Remember that in a digital format, printing costs don’t factor in.
3. Less is more: Presenting fewer products on the page makes them easier to take in and provides the option of including bigger headlines and emphasizing additional text or links in the product descriptions or information displayed. Make ample use of image galleries: a picture says more than 1000 words!
4. Advertising partnerships can be strengthened! If you already include adverts for products or services in your publication, you can use these new possibilities to present your advertising partners in the best possible way with video, audio and direct links to their websites.
5. Self-promotion in prime position – Use (the best) space in your publication to directly advertise your own social media channels and special offers (or shop). Create eye-catching title pages and don’t forget to include your contact details, internet address and social media icons in a prominent place on the last page.
Over the past few months, Yumpu has evolved from a purely technical developer of e-papers to a fully fledged marketing supplier, able to offer ever more sophisticated tools for professional and cutting edge marketing in the modern world.
More and more focus in future will be on distributing content in video format, which is why we are already offering our publishers the option of transforming their e-paper magazine into a “promotional magazine video”.
In this context, we are currently introducing the beta version of our video marketing tool in the “Yumpu Lab”, allowing you to turn your magazine into a personalized promotional video at the click of a button. The perfect solution for sharing on Facebook and other social media.
The perfect way to find new readers for your magazines!
Find out more about how to turn your magazine into a promotional video and exciting your customers!
>> Find out more…